Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Big Hearted Fun at NCTE

Burnin' love comes once in a lifetime

The NCTE convention was probably the most fun I've had at a promotional event this year, and not just because of the lack of anyone accusing me of corrupting the youth of America. I got to meet teachers and librarians from all over the place, including some who post on this blog (hi Sandi!), and San Antonio is just a very cool place.

I also was fortunate enough to meet dozens of the best authors writing YA fiction today, people who I've admired from a distance for years. I won't do a who's who for fear of leaving anyone out, but suffice to say I was pretty starstruck and probably babbled incoherently (or even more incoherently than usual) around many of the folks I met. I will, however, mention that I got to hang out with the fabulous E. Lockhart, who I was fortunate enough to begin my promo travel circuit with. E.'s book The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks was a well-deserved National Book Award nominee, as though you needed another reason to go read it. If you haven't, what are you waiting for?

And speaking of babbling incoherently, the folks at Hyperion shot some promotional footage of me, no doubt to capitalize on my radio-star good looks. Talk about a bizarre experience! For some reason I am pretty comfortable speaking in front of a group like I did at the panel I was on, and reasonably engaging one on one or in small groups, but I found hitting the grapefruits that Hyperion was serving me up during the "video interview" almost impossible to hit. At one point, when bungling yet another chance to describe Kiss of Life, I was asked "You did write the book, didn't you?" Yarg. Hopefully the Disney special effects team will take the footage and I'll come across as endearing as Wall-E. In fact, maybe they should just use footage of Wall-E with my voice over. Except my voice is probably pretty irritating so they should re-dub my answers in Wall-E's voice. Did I mention they played Wall-E on the airplane home? I love that movie.

Good times, good times. And I got home in plenty of time to act as my wife's sous-chef for Thanksgiving.

11 comments:

sandi said...

Hi! *waves*

I stayed up past midnight last night to finish Kiss of Life (I feel a little like a zombie, er differently biotic, today), and OMG you have done it again!
I have a few questions that I dont want to post here for fear of spoilers for others, but I will say I loved the book!

It was nice to meet you in San Antonio. Thanks for letting me get a picture. I'll send a link to it soon :)

Daniel Waters said...

Hey Sandi!

Thanks! I'll field any and all questions to the best of my ability at WatersDan at aol dot com!

Take care,
Dan

SuicidalFailure said...

cool.mann i was so mad that i didnt go to sanantonio that weekend...anyways its a good thing u had fun SA rocks.
-ashley

Anonymous said...

I WANT KISS OF LIFE!!! Glad u had fun! :p

Anonymous said...

Again, I'm so sorry I missed you. Did you read the review? I hope you liked it. Let me know.

blondewitAbrain said...

I've left comments before asking if you'd be in California anytime soon. So please please please say yeeeeees! Lots of Cali love.-blondie

Ellen said...

Hi Dan!

I just found Kiss of Life available for pre-order at Amazon - how cool is that?

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Dead-Kiss-Life/dp/1423109236/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228273171&sr=8-3

Hope all is well,
Ellen

Daniel Waters said...

Hi Ashley!

I'm sorry we didn't get the chance to meet. But yes, San Antonio does indeed rock.

take care,
Dan

Daniel Waters said...

Hi KG's Babygirl!

soon, soon!

Take care,
Dan

Hi Karin!

I'm still heartbroken about missing you. But yes, thanks for the review--you are first, yet again!--I linked to it.

Take care,
Dan

Hi Blondewithabrain!

Never been to California--would love love love to go. Nothing in the cards just yet.

Take care,
Dan

Hi Ellen!

That is very, very cool. Thanks for that. How are you? Been to Hattie's lately?

Take care,
Dan

ImThe'Laugh'In'Slaughter' said...

Ah... Wall-E. The cutest movie since the Lion King. Disney and Pixar have done it again, haven't they?

I'm glad you had a good time in Texas, Daniel. I, myself, have never been there, but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

I am eagerly awaiting the Kiss of Life release. Maybe Tommy will finally get his kiss. Hence, the title. Also, I would like to see your video interview when describing the Kiss of Life. I'm sure we are all curious to see your 'radio'-star good looks.

Ellen said...

Things are going well - thanks for asking. Haven't been to Hattie's lately, but it's time for a trip. Next time you're in town we'll take you there for dinner!